During the SPACE 2013 they focused on the latest developments regarding enriched colony housing systems for layers. Their requirements were clear:
- Highest possible production of first class eggs
- At least 110.000 hens per house
- Ability to be converted into an aviary system
- An involved supplier that provides good service, before and after completion.
After visiting existing housing systems, they choose the VolMaxx colony housing system of Jansen Poultry Equipment. The installation started at the beginning of 2014. The completion went well and the first hens arrived in July the same year.
The new VolMaxx colony housing system at Carlier has 6 rows and 8 tiers and can contain 115.200 hens. Every section is in compliance with the EU and KAT regulations. A few characteristics of the system:
- LED lighting in the sections
- Laying nests situated alongside the egg belt
- Feeder lines with perches placed above
- Every compartment has a dimension of 3.576 x 2.080 mm
All elements are efficiently placed in all sections which offers hens the possibility to make maximum use of the space. Manure belts underneath the slats ensure the manure being removed out of the house. As a result the environment is much healthier. Integrated manure belt aeration ensures an air circulation above the manure belts and enables manure to dry on the manure belts.
Integrated walk ways between every row on various tiers makes inspection easy. A trolley makes this inspection even easier. A false ceiling is installed for optimal ventilation in the house. This way fresh air reaches all animals in every tier and section of the house. A special MultiFlex Elevator egg lift for the VolMaxx is installed which brings eggs from different tiers to one level. From this location a rod conveyor brings eggs to the central packing location.